Friday 23 November 2012

Angel's Wings

This was my Art Quilt entry for Festival of Quilts in Birmingham UK this year.  It is called Angel's Wings, and it is made from two layers of cheap polyester voile, enclosing bits of the same, curtain lace, Lutradur, and the like.  Yes. it's a quilt, having three layes joined by stitch.  And it's see-through; almost completely unfinished (dangly threads, raw edges, sleeve is the top bit sewn together with a raw edge at the top);
and I free-motion quilted it with feathery shapes with the tension cranked up as high as I could get it to make the whole thing crinkly.. Then I hung it up and hacked the edges off with scissors, much to the amazement of a watching friend..
I was rather hoping it would get poor notes, and I was really expecting criticism of the roughness..
And I was rather unhappy that my transparent, translucent, see-through "double-sided" quilt was hung against a black drape in a darkish corner, but hey..
And the judges loved it..
And both said, wistfully, "shame it wasn't hung in the open"
Ah, well, win some..
I'll have to try harder next time..